Sunday, October 2, 2011

I got a new bike

How is training going? Only OK.

On Friday afternoon Lan said he found me a new bike, lets go to Tacoma and see if there is one there like it because the one he found is in Portland. Tacoma didn't have any like it but could order one, in 2 weeks and for $900 more. So we drove to Portland, Oregon. Got there at 7:30pm and the store had closed at 7:00pm. I was a little upset after driving like a bat out of hell to get there, breaking every speed limit along the way.

So we got a room in a cheap motel for the night and there were several reasons it was cheap. Crying babies, paper thin walls, football game right across the street, people making noise all night long. I didn't sleep much and if I did I was woken up within minutes of falling asleep.

In the morning we were the first customers to get there and luckily for me the bike was still there.

2011 Felt b16 Tri Bike.
This is the very first bike that is BRAND NEW and never owned by someone else before me that I have ever had. All of my bikes were preowned, as a child and even the ones Lan has built for me. All of them were used. But not this baby.


It was used as a demo bike at the store and it was used a little but no one else owned it.




Neal is making adjustments so it will fit me. The size is 52. It feels good.

First ride. We went around the blocks and I fell in love.

Here is the twin, in size 56. It now belongs to Lan.
We got a twofer special, $2600 for both bikes and a free pair of gloves for me. Of course, the gloves match my bike.

Today Lan dropped me and the bike off at the high school track so I could run laps. I had an hour of intervals planned, then I was going to ride home. I got more than half the run finished but had to leave suddenly. This seems to happen a lot to me and its frustrating so I'm going to plan ahead better so I wont have to worry about this in the future.

But I did get to ride a few miles on it today and it felt so good, like it was made for me. It shifts nicely and feels tight. It accelerates smoothly, it feels balanced. Lan took off the white wheels/tires and put my blue ones on it, removing a couple pounds of weight.

The plan is for me to use this bike at home on the trainer and ride my road bike out on the roads. The road bike, now named Cricket, is heavier and will stand up to any abuse I might give it. The new bike will get a lot of miles but not out on the road.

List price for this bike was $2026.00, it was listed on CraigsList for $1500.00. I agreed to buy both bikes for $2600., making the total price for each one just $1300. Lan sold his Kona mtn bike yesterday for $1000, which he gave to me, to pay toward the Visa I used to buy these bikes. We are hoping to sell the camper this week to pay for the rest of the bikes. But it doesn't matter, I would have needed a new bike for Ironman and now I have 6 months to get used to this one.

And to come up with a name for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment