Monday, September 5, 2011

Labor Day

How is training going? Very good.

Started out the day cleaning the barn then headed out to Horseshoe Lake for a 1/2 mile swim. Its been a few years since I have swam there and today I thought the water would be all nasty like it used to be but it turned out nice and clean. All the geese were gone and the water is clear, but green. I could see the bottom or plants the entire swim.

I asked Lan to stay near me for the first portion of the swim in case I got scared of things in the water and he did. I was doing OK until he pointed out 2 girls riding their horses in the water over at the boat launch. I had to stop and watch for a few minutes. I got to the dock we had been aiming for and saw that it took me 18 minutes to swim the first 1/4 mile so I tried to get back faster, didn't stop to see horses, didn't stop to rest, nothing. Finished the 1/2 mile in 32 minutes. My average is 28 and since I spent so much time watching horses I think I did OK on the way back. Linda still swims twice as fast as me.

BUT I can kick her ass on the bike and in transitions so I'm glad for that. Or, at least I could last year. I haven't trained this year as much as she has, she might just kick my ass in Tri Turtle tri this coming Sunday. I hope not.

Lan and I spend this Labor Day holiday in Port Townsend, messing around at Fort Warden. That is where a lot of An Officer and a Gentleman were filmed. The houses aren't all painted in many colors like they were for the movie, they are all gov't pinking and white but they are being taken care of and that's what matters.

We hiked up the trail to the battlements on the hill.


It was about 1/4 mile up on a steep hillside. We took the shortcut that ended up being the long cut.

Fort Warden was built to protect Puget Sound from the Japanese during WWII, along with Fort Casey over on Whidbey Island. Now are both state parks, they still have a lot of their old buildings and are FUN to play at.

You can go up & down the stairs and see wonderful views from above or go down inside the buildings.

And down we go

These buildings were long and narrow. There were many heavy steel doors separating rooms in a hallway and off to the left there were many more rooms. Outside there were informational signs with interior maps of the buildings, saying what each room was used for.

Some of the stuff is just pretty.


And back up we go.


A lock on a cell door?? Maybe it was used for storage.

But there were many in a row, all lockable.

Mt baker as seen from a battlement

This was an underground tunnel, about 200 yards long. Lan has raced his mtn bike thru here before.


This army truck was driving along a road. Back in the day I bet there were hundreds of army vehicles here.

The walk back to the car was refreshing and the views too die for.

No comments:

Post a Comment