Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Got in the 100 miles

Last Saturday Lan & I rode the bikes 100 miles. Or, I did.

We left home at 10:24am, headed through Gig Harbor. This is the northern beginning of the Cushman Trail, a paved bike & walking path alongside the city most of the way to the Narrows Bridge. Sections are pretty steep, this was 8% upgrade, one part was 10%.


Over the Narrows Bridge.

We went on the same route Lindy, Heidi & I had ridden the previous week but Lan & I went & got on the ferry, Chetzmocha, to Vashon Island. This was my first time to ride this boat & I was impressed, they have many, many bike racks inside the Mezzanine level and seating for the riders so you're not stuck outside in the cold wind if you don't have cleat covers.

How lucky we were, it was loading as we got to the dock, no waiting at all.



This is Vashon Island. When I worked at Fauntleroy ferry terminal, one of the 2 destinations was the northern end of this island. The one at the southern end is Tahlequah and that's the one we got on at. We rode up to the A but also added in some of the little island off to the right, Maury Island. That one was just so damn hilly that we decided to go back.

At the blue marker we stopped and had a small lunch.


This is inside the Wet Whisker, a small general store/deli/coffee bar. Very cute, extremely expensive. But a nice respite from the ride.
 
We were just in time for the return boat heading back to Tacoma, only had to sit there a couple minutes to wait for the cars to unload.



After leaving Vashon we rode along the waterfront for .5 mile, over to Owen Beach & headed up. UP is putting it lightly. The exit from that beach is super duper steep. I was riding at 2.3 mph, barely moving but I didn't have to walk. I'd say its easily 10% upgrade for .25 mile.

This is what I found online: Ride up Owen Beach Hill at Point Defiance as repeats.
Hill is roughly 4/10 of a mile and 200 ft. elevation gain in total with an average 10-11% grade.
Recover over next 1.5 miles after climb (spinning easily), loop back around and hit it again. Do 4-8 times as fitness level and intestinal fortitude allow (sometimes once is enough). Do the longer loops around to the park entrance/exit if you need more recovery time.
Vomiting is permitted, you carry less weight up the hill.


Here is Lan at the end of Pt D, we're ready to head back toward the Narrows.
 
 
This is a map of our whole ride that day. We made it 88.2 miles, not the entire 100 I had planned but I had horses to feed and daylight was running out.

And since I had HAD to get in 100 full miles, I got on the bike trainer and finished the last 11.2. This photo is me, with tears in my eyes.  But the tears are from information shared with me from Windy.

My bib number for Ironman Coeur d'Alene this year is 868. This makes it real and for a few minutes I was experiencing sheer terror.

Totals for May 13-19.
Swim: 3.7 miles  (not counting yards now, this was all open water)
Bike: 151.67 miles
Run: 6.53 miles
Total miles: 161.90
Total time: 15:45


In horsey news:
Sarah & Lulu
Joey & me
I went on a trail ride on Joey, with Sarah on her mare, Lulu. Went a couple hours in Alpine Forest, saw a couple deer & another couple of riders. It was fun for me. I'm sure Sarah was bored
stiff, she and Lulu are used to running the entire way because they are training for a 25 mile endurance race. Joey had a good time, he LOVES the trails and he has no fear. He goes anywhere and isn't afraid to lead or follow.

And yesterday I rode him again but just in the arena. Saddled him up in the English saddle. First I let Hannah ride him while I saddled Sunshower for me to ride.
That turd would not move forward. I was so frustrated! But she finally did, then we switched horses and Hannah rode her for a while. Joey was wonderful again, as I knew he would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment