Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Stable Comfort 10 Day Review

We started using the stalls with the Stable Comfort stall mats about 10 days ago and I want to do a short review.


What I've noticed the most and is super important to me is that Joey hasn't been stocked up in the mornings after being locked in the stall all night. We don't have outside runs ready yet so its just the stalls. I do not know if he's sleeping a lot or just standing around but I do know he's not making laps in it. So not stocking up is a SUPER DUPER PLUS. He has laid down a few times, I can tell by the shavings in his tail.

Wifi is the same as always in her stall.


What I do not like is that the pee goes wherever it wants and in both stalls that's right to where their hay bags hang. No one likes to eat hay that's been sitting in their pee. I'm thinking I might need to hang the hay nets on a different wall or have several spots so at least the floor can dry before using those spots again. I even switched the horses to each others stalls last night to see if it would make any difference but it didn't.



The only thing we did not do when installing was crown the concrete in the middle but it was poured before I ordered the mats. On flat floors with regular mats if Joey pees in the middle it stays in the middle.

Once we get the runs completed both horses will stop peeing in the stalls at all and it won't be an issue. I use plain pine shavings and should be getting some pellets to use instead but can't right now due to short pay checks (I love my job).

This morning Wifi didn't go out to the back pasture to eat when Joey went out, she stayed behind the arena and when I went out there she came back in and wanted lots of attention. I removed her blanket and groomed her, noticed her hair on one side looks nappy, wonder if its from having the blanket on at all??
It seems to fit well enough. I also noticed her withers seem fatter/wider.

Then a bit later Lan noticed her rubbing her butt on the fence, maybe because she's shedding so much? Or needs to be dewormed? If she's not feeling well I don't want to deworm her but I do have them on hand and they are due on March 1st. I'll wait until then and we're keeping an eye on her.


I've got enough hay nets that our house sitter won't have to worry about filling them while we're gone, it will just be remove the empty and hang a full one. We're not going to have Tina put the horses into the stalls, just leave them in the arena. One hay net on each side and they are set. I'll make sure the trough is full and then it should all be fine. Terry will check on them too.



No comments:

Post a Comment