Monday, July 22, 2013

Something About Horses

Craig Alexander
 OK, before we get to the horses, the above photo is Craig Alexander after his Lake Stevens Half Ironman WIN yesterday. I was hanging out near the finish line & saw many of the pros chatting & I asked if I could get a photo with him and of course he said yes. He's so nice, polite and happy. He chatted about his race with us. He was freezing, I should have given him my jacket.

Wait, I'm sure he's got lots of FINISHERS  jackets of his own to wear.



I was there to cheer Windy on her race, her A race of the season. She finished in 7:49:44. Her swim was very fast but she felt sick coming off the bike and felt like puking in T2. But she bucked up and FINISHED well. I'm so proud of her.

Ok, now on to the horsey news.

Wildfire, aka Wifi

Wifi has been at Kates' farm for the last 3 weeks, for training. I'm not a trainer and never plan on being one so when I need help, I have to find it. I asked Kate to ride/train her 4-5 times each week for a month so she could get miles on her. But Kate told me 2 days ago that Wifi needs a cowboy to ride her, she needs a man to do it. Kate said Wifi had been bucking and rearing, things that had never happened before, ever, with me riding her. Kate also said Wifi needed to learn a Whoa and to steer. But she HAS a WHOA, an excellent one and I can steer her with my pinkys and legs. I didn't understand why Wifi would be acting up now.

So Wifi came home with me today and Delicia came over to help. What a HUGE freaking difference!

Wifi had a sore back before we put the saddle on her. Everywhere else seemed fine, just along her spine was tender. We used Delicias dressage saddle because mine don't fit her too well.  First she was lunged then Delicia mounted her and she was fine. Then they walked off and had a most excellent ride. no bucking, no rearing. no arguments or anything like that. Wifi tried to go to the gate a couple times but Delicia started turning her earlier so it became a non issue. They rode around for about 15minutes, walk & trot & then they were done.

I got on for a couple circles around the arena at an easy walk, she was responding to my leg, fingers and seat. When I asked her to turn she did it easily and when I wanted to stop she stopped, by the use of my seat. No bucking or rearing.

When we unsaddled her Delicia once again ran her fingers down her back and IT WASN'T SORE ANYMORE.

So to make things clear, Kates riding is what wasn't working out. She was fighting small battles, making them into a war and ignoring the fact that she was ruining my horse. Thank god I brought her home instead of leaving her there.

I'll never use another horse trainer, ever. I love Delicia.

No comments:

Post a Comment